As the title states, this is a 3 ingredient (all of which you likely have) and is cooked in a crock pot, so I'm not sure it gets easier than this! I make a batch of this every Sunday to eat throughout the week and it's really made my busy life a bit easier. Keep on reading to find out how I make this and a few different ways to serve it!
Shredded Mexican Chicken
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours & 30 minutes
Serving Size: about a 1/2 cup
What You Need:
- 20oz (1.25 lbs) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 24oz jar of salsa
- 1 packet less sodium taco seasoning
How You Make It:
- Place chicken in the slow cooker and evenly coat chicken with half of the taco seasoning
- Pour full jar of salsa into slow cooker, stir until everything is well mixed
- Cook on low for 4 hours
- Remove chicken from crock pot and shred using two forks
- Place shredded chicken & the rest of the taco seasoning back into the slow cooker and cook on low for an additional 30 minutes
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Nutrition (Per Serving):
Calories: 116 | Fat: .9 g | Sat Fat: 0 g | Carb: 8 g | Fiber: 1 g | Protein: 16 g | Sugar: 5 g
This recipe is so basic, there are really endless ways to serve this! Below are three ways Ryan and I have eaten it. The chicken is moist enough that when you mix it with anything, it acts as a sauce so you don't even need extra salsa.
- My personal favorite it mixing the chicken together with a half a cup of brown rice and two tablespoons of sour cream or greek yogurt! It's so delicious and filling - I literally eat this every day for lunch.
- Throw the shredded chicken into a wrap! You can also mix the chicken with rice to make it like a burrito.
- Ryan likes it on it's own or mixed in with some whole wheat pasta.
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! It's the perfect "meal-prep" style dish that you can eat different ways to avoid getting sick of it (I don't know if I ever will lol.) Let me know if you guys plan to try this out and if you have any favorite easy meal prep recipes! Thanks for reading :)